Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Hot Soup

Things were going pretty smooth for awhile. A few fevers here and there, a stuffy nose maybe, but nothing major. Then came that fateful Saturday night. Soup was on the menu for dinner, and I was trying out a new recipe given to me by a friend. Craig was upstairs in bed recovering from having his gallbladder removed, Josh and Matt were playing a board game at the dinner table with a bunch of guys from church and the girls were watching TV. I had just turned the burner off of the soup to let it cool and I began dishing it out to the kids. First was my girl Rachel, who is always eager to try new recipes with me. So I gave her the bowl and told her to be careful because it was hot. She said OK and proceeded to the other room. Next was Sara and I gave her the same lecture about the temperature and off she went to the kitchen table.



Then came the yelling, which promptly turned into screaming..."hot, hot...Hot...Hot... HOT...HOT!!!!!!!!! It was Rachel. Instead of choosing to sit at the table to eat her soup, she decided the couch was more comfortable. The TV was on and she got distracted by it as she sat down and spilled the soup on her leg and foot. When I entered the room I saw the couch littered with remnants of my cream of wild rice and chicken soup and Rachel on the floor trying to rip off her soup-soaked sock. As the sock came off, so did her skin and I knew that the situation had just taken a turn for the worse.



Sara immediately jumped into action and proceeded to tell us how to treat a burn (she had just completed her first aid training in health class at school), so I grabbed some gauze and an ace wrap and bandaged Rachey's foot and ankle up and we headed to the hospital.



This was the first real burn I've had to deal with in my lifetime so I felt a little like I was heading into uncharted waters, not really knowing how bad it was and what type of treatment we were looking at. When we arrived at the ER, I got the wheelchair and wheeled Rachel in. Luckily Sara came with us so she kept her busy while I parked the car. They rushed us through the registration process and took us into the trauma room. Her pain at this point was off the charts (a 10+) and she was very ademant that NO ONE TOUCHES HER FOOT! She can be very feisty when she needs to be and even though she was in shock still from the burn, she knew what was going on and watched everything they did to her. We tried to distract her by letting her play a game on my cell phone or listen to Sara's ipod which helped. At this point, the burn didn't look so bad so we figured it had been a slight second degree burn since she had a few small blisters and her skin did come off, but with a little time and TLC it would heal. The doctors thought this too and sent us on our way with some Silvadene cream with orders to change it daily and check in with our primary doctor on Monday.

So home we went.

No comments: