Monday, October 20, 2008

Carving pumpkins


What happened to the good 'ole days when all you had to do was cut out 2 triangles for eyes, one for the nose and a jagged smile for the mouth and you were DONE?! Each year, the designs keep getting more and more complicated and I seem to spend more and more time on these darn jack o'lanterns!

I don't know how it is in your family, but I pretty much dominate the pumpkin carving process. It's one of my MANY shortcomings. It's just that I've seen what these 6 wonderful, creative, bright children have produced for the last 15 years when it comes to jack o'lantern designs, and (quite frankly) they stink! So, I've taken it upon myself to be the designated carver. I let the kids chose their pattern (as long as it isn't one of the expert level ones!), I even let them scoop out all the guts, but that is where their assistance stops and my insanity begins.

I know, I know..."just let go, Joy...let them create whatever they want..." I've heard it all before, but I just can't seem to relinquish my grasp on this one.

So, here are a few that I carved this weekend. Not one of my better years, but they're not too bad either!
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

No comments: