Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas 2008






Merry Christmas!




This year we did our traditional Mexican dinner on Christmas Eve with enchilladas & Spanish rice. Then we opened one present each. I tried something different this year as I teamed up the kids with "big partners & little partners" taking after the program at Bristol Elementary School. So, on the 24th, the kids got together with their partner and had a list of items that needed to get accomplished before we could enjoy the day together (ie: CHORES). This team approach went over well as nobody felt like like they had to do EVERYTHING by themselves and much to my surprise, the jobs actually got done! Hooray for Mom!



So after the house got straigtened up, Craig came home from work to have dinner with us and witness the present opening. I've been conditioned to begin dreading Christmas, thanks in part to my wonderfully ungrateful children who have become accustomed to getting everything they want in terms of presents. This year, I had them make clear lists of needs and wants, and as far as I can tell, they were richly blessed. Which brings me to my confusion as to why these wonderful spirits can still manage to squeeze out tears when the carnage is over and they are counting in their little head how many presents everyone got, and realizing they somehow got shorted. This even after we had a long discussion about the birth of Christ and read the scriptures and talked about the importance of Christmas and the significance of gifts.


Where did I go wrong then?








1 comment:

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

I can't believe how grown up your kids are! It's been close to 8 years since I've seen them last! I'm glad you are all having so much fun together. I hope one day that my little Cole will have lots of siblings to play with too!